Monday, October 31, 2011

Sneetches

So this morning I went to math and we were learning about inverse functions of polynomials, joy right? Well my teacher thought it would help us understand if she told a story to make it easier. She told us the Sneetches story by Dr. Seuss. Its about two groups of sneetches; those with stars on their bellies and those without. the star bellied sneetches became the "higher" class or the it group. All of a sudden this guy comes to town and tells all the plain bellied sneetches that he can put stars on their bellies for $3, well they all jumped at the chance. Soon every sneetch was equal, they all had stars. The same guy told the original starred sneetches that he could make their stars disappear for $10, of course they all took him up on his offer so they could once again be the superior race. This cycle continued until eventually everyone forgot who the original starred bellied sneeches were and which ones weren't. So i admit it , I'm a sneetch! Everyone knows whats its like to be the one on the outside and feel like everyone looks down upon you and could care less what happens to you, I certainly do. I would have given anything to be one of the cool kids even if it was just for a day if it meant that for once I wasn't the one being looked down upon. I would have given anything to know what it felt like to have a true friend and not someone who talked bad about me when I wasn't there. It made me think that we are all sneetches in one way or another, always trying to impress a certain guy/ girl, a group of people, or even your family. In the end we are all the same regardless of how much wealth or popularity we have , its just that some people don't see it . Who would have thought that i could learn something about life in math class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment